General Tips For Hiring Contractors
1. Determine the documentation you need for your project.
- Check if the contractor is licensed, has liability insurance, and workers’ compensation.
- Some states and cities require a permit. Research to see what your area requires and ask the contractor to pull it.
- Ask for a written warranty to guarantee your project will be done on time, within your budget, and correctly.
2. Do your research. Find out the potential cost of the project. Interview multiple contractors, ask for references as well as pictures of previous projects.
3. Get several bids. Ask for a detailed job estimate. This should include a list of needed materials, as well as the cost of labor and any other expenses. Discuss payment schedules and sign a contract.